A survey is not a guarantee statement of conditions because there is no such thing as a vessel of interest which is free of defects. Here at MMM, our surveyors will provide you with is a set of experienced eyes and a professional opinion which will improve the odds of a successful outcome regarding your interest.
Before signing on with a surveyor, make sure you obtain in advance a list of those inspections that will take place. Such a list should be clear and mention just what equipment is going to be tested and how it will be tested. When you hire Mass Maritime Marine as your surveyor, you are paying for knowledge, experience, and integrity, not a piece of paper that has been rubber-stamped! Recommended is that you do not shop for a survey based on price, shop for service and professionalism.
Call 781 337 6903 or email us at email@example.com. We offer the following types of recreational surveys:
- Pre-Purchasing Condition / Value, Financing & Insurance
- Repair – Refitting – Damage & Assessment
- Warranty Claims
- Sea Trials
- In addition, if you Charter a vessel, let us inspect it before and after turnover.
- Contact Mass Maritime Marine and set up a specific date and time to conduct the survey.
- Discuss “the type” and “how through” of a survey you want it to be.
- Rates vary, typically $11-17 / foot for < 50ft. Extent, type, and age to be considered.
- Vls > than 50 ft. usually a flat rate. Larger vessels have a lot of equipment, w / bigger engines spaces, components, and simply put, more area to cover.
- Recommended is that shore power be available.
- Have all batteries fully charged. Testing of electrical system will take place: (example: battery load, GFI, alternator, starter, stray current, residual current leak). A service charge will be incurred if MMM has to supply / fix / render assistance.
- The boat deck, cockpit, and outside structure shall be free and clear of obstructions (such as coverings, ice, show, and articles) that may be adrift. We can work around such obstructions but the report may contain a disclaimer.
- Customer to arrange for water access for operating any systems that rely on water feed (engine, cooling water needs, wash down, sanitary).
- Bilges need to be clean and dry of oil, waste, and water.
- Voids (if accessible, open and aired out for entry and inspections).
- All lockers and cabins should be cleared of miscellaneous gear which may be considered an obstruction for the purposes of inspecting the vessel properly.
- A written report is usually turned around within 24 hours if all information is available. The customer(s) is given a hard copy, a cd, or thumb drive of the report.
- An hourly rate and mileage charge can be assessed depending on the location of the vessel.
- Sea Trails are a good idea. The costs for a vsl < 50 feet is $65 dollars per hour. For vsl > 50ft, the rate is $85 dollars per hour. Delays in departure +30 min of the scheduled time the rate increases to $100 and $130 respectively.
- If no sea trail is conducted, certain equipment may not be tested to SAT.
- NOTE: The surveyor DOES NOT operate the vessel. The seller or broker must provide a captain to pilot the vessel. Although MMM does offer this service for an additional charge.
- Extensive testing when certain conditions are found will be billed at $60.00 / hr. (moisture / corrosion).
- Permission / access to the boat to be arranged along with a ladder and keys if vsl is on land.
- Sail boats to have masts at a ground level for inspection.
- Documentation, registration, any USCG papers, inspections, manuals, engine maintenance logs with receipts, previous inspections, or survey made ready.
- WITHIN 24-HOUR(S) CANCELATION NOTICE MUST BE RECEIVED VIA EMAIL. AFTER 24 hrs, A 20% SERVICE CHARGE.
- History search of the title to be performed, charges are $150.00. This is a USCG and a National Crime Bureau review of the title and documentation.
- To re-winterize the engine and recover the boat, not a problem, we can discuss.
- Recommended is that propulsion and auxiliary engines be inspected by a QUALIFIED engine technician. We offer this service at an additional cost. NOTE: Our surveys DO cover a limited inspection of those various engine components such as heat distribution and cooling, charging, appearance, review of maintenance service records, engine oil sample analysis ($62.00 each engine sample) turnaround time is approx 24 hours.
- It is highly recommended that a vessel be hauled out and pressured washed for a bottom and running gear inspection. Customer pays and arranges for this service in advance of the surveyors arrival. MMM can help coordinate this effort.
- For destructive testing and any affiliated services, other fees apply.
- Underwater diving / surveying / pictures / inspections / maintenance available.
- Surveys are paid up front